Tuesday, July 5, 2011

I'm no beauty queen, I'm just beautiful me. ♫♥


As corny as it is, I love Who Says by Selena Gomez. So true. :)

Today I had a pyjama day. A trip to the library yesterday with the younger siblings provided me with (almost) enough mental stimulation to keep me from going crazy, cooped up inside all day. Since uni started, I haven't really read anything substantial besides my scriptures and uni textbooks. I was delighted to discover that one of my favourite books, "Stargirl" by Jerry Spinelli, has a sequel! :D It's called "Love, Stargirl" and is so amazingly adorable. A little cry-worthy, too, if you're soft like me. :P It really made me think, too. About a number of things. Firstly, what kind of mark I'm making. Am I too wrapped up in my self to be truly involved in the lives and cares of others? Stargirl was happiest, and her truest self, when she was looking out for others, when she sought out those who had a need and filled it. Actually it reminds me of a poem President Thomas S. Monson quoted in a talk once:

I have wept in the night
For the shortness of sight
That to somebody’s need made me blind;
But I never have yet
Felt a tinge of regret
For being a little too kind.

Why do we hesitate? Why do walk past with our gaze fixed to the ground, pretending we don't see the eyes that call out for help? What are we afraid of? Most of the time, it's not because we're lazy, or heartless. So what is it?

I'm going to find out what it is in my life. And then, build a bridge and get over it. Gifts from God are given to be shared. That's all I'm saying.

Oh, and the other thing the book made me think about was this:

"Who are you if you lose your favorite person? Can you lose your favorite person without losing yourself?"

Good question. Which then spurs the next one: do you ever really lose someone you love? I don't think so. They'll always be there somewhere; in the songs you sing or the thoughts you think or the way you bounce your leg up and down when you're sitting. They become a part of you. So maybe you only lose your favourite person if you lose yourself. Hmm.


♥ Sariah

No comments:

Post a Comment